The Thoroughbred Chapter began an annual awards program in 2002 to honor the outstanding efforts of its members. The award program recognizes exceptional work in many various categories such as media relations, newsletters, magazines, annual reports, brochures, websites, social media, etc.
Dates & Deadlines
- 2019 Entry Deadline: Monday, March 4, 2019 at 5:00 p.m.
(entry forms and additional details will be available soon)
- Annual Awards Luncheon: Tuesday, April 16, 2019 at 11:30 a.m. (registration and additional details will be available soon)
- Thoroughbred Professional Awards recognize excellence in public relations for individuals, companies, agencies and non-profits.
- Communicator of the Year is presented to a person who is not a public relations professional who did a great job of communicating his or her passion in the award year.
- Lifetime Achievement Award is presented to a member of the Thoroughbred chapter of PRSA who has a demonstrated commitment to excellence over a long period of time. This award is not necessarily presented every year.
How to Submit Your Entries
- All entries MUST be submitted electronically
- Students can enter
- Send final submissions containing all materials via email to Katie@wiserstrategies.com
- Submissions can sent in the following formats:
- a complete DropBox folder link
- a PDF
- Word Document.
You will receive an acknowledgment of each email within 24 hours. If you don’t receive a response, follow up.
Each submission shall include an entry form and supporting materials, and you may enter as many categories as you’d like.
Please note in the subject line of the emails PRSA Thoroughbred Award Entry and state the category name and number in the body of the text.
Communicator of the Year Recipients
2019 – Mayor Jim Gray
2018 – Ginny Ramsey, Catholic Action Center
2017 – Lexington Fire Department & Bluegrass Stockyards
2016 – Marian Guinn, CEO of God’s Pantry Food Bank
2015 – Governor Steve Beshear
2014 – Ben and Rebecca Self of West Sixth and Foodchain
2013 – Dr. Doug Whitlock, President of Eastern Kentucky University
2012 – Matthew Mitchell, Coach of UK Women’s Basketball team
2011 – Stu Silberman, Superintendent of Fayette County Schools
2010 – Crit Luallen, Kentucky Auditor of Public Accounts
2009 – Kathy Gannoe, former executive Director of the Nursing Home Ombudsman agency
2008 – Dr. Pearce Lyons, Alltech
2007 – Nick Rowe, President, Kentucky American Water Company
2006 – Dr. George Zack, Music Director/Conductor, Lexington Philharmonic
2005 – Sylvia Lovely, executive director/CEO, Kentucky League of Cities
2004 – Joseph Lambert, Chief Justice, Kentucky Supreme Court
2003 – Jennifer Mynear, Jarrett’s Joy Cart
2002 – Dr. Lee Todd, President, University of Kentucky
2001 – John Lindgren (posthumously), Local TV News Anchor
2000 – Alan Stein, President, Lexington Legends
Lifetime Achievement Award Winners
2018 – Cliff Feltham
2017 – Mary Hemlepp
2016 – Tom Harris, APR
2010 – Nancy Wiser, APR
2009 – Phil Osborne
2006 – Phyllis Liebman, APR
2005 – Thomas Preston, APR
2005 – Faith Miller Cole