Title of Position: Intern, Strategic Marketing Analyst
Period: Part-Time (maximum 20 hours weekly)
Starting Date: December 1, 2019 Negotiable
End Date: Negotiable
Location: Frankfort, KY; may require some travel
Compensation: Dependent upon qualifications
The Council on Postsecondary Education (CPE) seeks a motivated student intern to assist the Communications unit. The intern will be responsible for measuring the effectiveness of the Council’s digital communications and providing insights for improvement. Communications include the Council’s news releases, email newsletters, social media, website, Policy Insight blog and YouTube channel.
The Council on Postsecondary Education coordinates change and improvement in Kentucky’s postsecondary education system as directed by the Kentucky Postsecondary Education Improvement Act of 1997 and through the implementation of its 2016-2021 Strategic Agenda: Stronger by Degrees. Dr. Aaron Thompson became the fourth president of the Kentucky Council on Postsecondary Education on November 1, 2018. His career is a testament to the transformative power of higher education. Under his leadership, CPE will reimagine and disrupt Kentucky’s public higher education system to better serve our students, workforce and economy.
The Strategic Marketing Analyst Intern will work directly with the Director of Communications to assist in carrying out the many responsibilities of CPE’s Communications unit. Those responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
- Measures the effectiveness of content strategies by channel and audience based on both performance and return on investment.
- Performs a constituent scan of media channels of other governmental higher education organizations.
- Develops communications benchmarks and goals based on distribution data, such as web statistics, SEO, email clicks, views and social media likes/shares.
- Evaluates and identifies new opportunities in the Council’s communications and outreach, such as audience demographics, messaging, channels or media types.
- Recommends tools and strategies for communications project management.
- Sets up reporting tools and schedules for future communications evaluation.
- Assists staff in updating the Council’s media directory.
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree or in the senior year of a Bachelor’s program of study in marketing, business, or communication.
- At least one year experience working with social media analytics of various channels.
- At least one year experience using Google Analytics.
- Experience using Facebook Ads, Twitter Ads and Google Adwords; also post promotion and boosting.
- Experience using survey tools and performing analytics.
- Experience using Microsoft Office products, including Outlook, Word and Excel; Powerpoint experience preferred.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, as well as interpersonal communication skills.
- Strong skills in data analytics; ability to inform stakeholders and business leaders of analytical results; ability to provide recommendations based on results.
- Ability to provide clear and concise reports, charts, tables and presentations to support business decisions.
- Ability to work unsupervised, as well as within a team.
Preferred Education and Experience:
- Graduate degree or graduate coursework in marketing, business or the communication field preferred.
- Working knowledge of government, higher education and/or non-profit communications.
This is a paid internship. Individuals are encouraged to submit materials for full consideration. The start date is negotiable. The position is based in Frankfort and may require some occasional limited travel.
Interested applicants should send a letter of application specifically addressing the responsibilities and qualifications of the position, a resume, and the names, titles, and contact information (phone and email) for a least three references to:
Sue Patrick, Executive Director of Communications and Marketing
Kentucky Council on Postsecondary Education
1024 Capital Center Drive Suite 320
Frankfort, KY 40601
The Council on Postsecondary Education is an equal opportunity employer.